Boston Common-July 23, 2014:
About 200 people held a silent vigil at Park St. in Boston, Mass.
to call for peace and a ceasefire between Israel/Palestine.VIDEO-PHOTO MONTAGE:http://youtu.be/DoSR5DXMG3o
TEXT FROM THE ORGANIZERS:
Boston Workmen’s Circle
Invites you to join us for an
Interfaith Silent Vigil
To call for an end to the violence in Israel / Palestine
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 5:30 – 7:00 pm
Park Street Station, downtown Boston
Please join Boston’s Workmen’s Circle http://www.workmenscircleboston.org/mideast-peace
for a vigil that recognizes the common humanity of both Israelis and Palestinians and the complexity of resolving the cycle of violence. If you are in agreement with the following general concepts, we urge you to join us.
· End the violence on both sides. Negotiated ceasefire now!
· All lives are equally precious and worthy of respect, Palestinian and Israeli
· It’s not possible to understand the current violence in a vacuum and without considering the complex narratives of both Palestinians and Israelis
· There is no military solution
· More than ever we need a comprehensive diplomatic solution; ending the Occupation is part of that solution.
· Palestinians and Israelis both have a right to security and a viable homeland
Signs consistant with the above concepts will be provided. Please do not bring your own signs or organizational banners. Thank you for respecting this request.
Our work in support of a just peace between Israel and the Palestinian people is guided by principles developed by the Middle East Working Group and adopted by the Board of Boston Workmen’s Circle:
• Ending the occupation
• Establishing two viable states, a homeland for the Jewish people and a homeland for the Palestinian people
• An end to the violence on all sides
• Making room for a diversity of views
We are proud to stand up as a progressive voice on Israel/Palestine in the Greater Boston Jewish community. But that doesn’t mean we all agree on the path to security and peace. We strive to foster an open and respectful environment in which a range of views can be aired and discussed. Through educational programs, dialogue groups, and membership forums, we grapple with many of the tough issues Jews face today concerning the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.
peace and freedom,
Boston 7/23/14 silent vigil for peace in Gaza