Tweets for Sat, 04 Feb 2012

Hi fam! We’re starting General Assembly here on Wall Street. Follow here, @LibertySqGA2, @LibertySqGA3, and @LibertySqGA4! #nycga #ows

.@shawncarrie and @cmariedaniel are our facilitators tonight! We’ll call them “Stairs” for short. #nycga #ows

They’re reviewing our handsignals, which we use to communicate non-verbally so as to leave room for voices to be heard. #nycga #ows

First, signals for expressing feeling: uptwinkles: I agree, midtwinkles: I’m not sure, downtwinkles: I don’t agree / don’t like it. #nycga

If people have a point of information to add relevant to the current discussion, they can put up one finger to let facilitators know. #nycga

Secondly, a point of process is made with two hands in a triangle: / _ \ This says “we’re off process and I’d like to guide us back.” #nycga

Finally, if you have a block during the end of the process when we check for consensus, cross your arms. A block is a “serious moral…”

Cont’d: “…ethical, or safety concern that is so severe that if your block were overruled you may need to leave the movement.” #nycga #ows

Those signals will appear as we move thru the GA process. Also, if folks speak too long, you can gently use a spinning-hands signal.#nycga

The first proposal tonight regards a call to action in response to the suppression of the #Occupy movement. First, working groups report.

First, Jeff, Minutes WG! “The minutes working group has made some changes to the way we do things in order to better serve the needs…”

Cont’d: “…of the GA, the Spokescouncil, and all working groups, and want to let everyone know in the spirit of transparency.” #nycga

Cont’d; “In the past, Minutes has tried to create verbatim transcripts of each meeting. This is a lot of work and has resulted in delays..”

Cont’d: “…before minutes were posted, which inconvenienced working groups and made our movement less transparent.” #nycga #ows

Minutes will now post notes on results of process, rather than transcripts, by 24 hours after the end of the meeting. They’ll invite..

Cont’d: …folks to use audio recordings of meetings posted on to create full transcripts. #nycga #ows

They’ll also try to help working groups take good minutes. “Any questions or concerns please contact us: 9178305315.”

Next, Anthony, Class War Working Group. “We’re going to be working on an action for March 31st in solidarity w/ an action that’s going…”

Cont’d: “…to go on in Europe; will contact radical groups in other cities.” Meet Wednesdays at 5; check for locations. #nycga

Next, Aventos: “I have just 1 suggestion here; a PoI, which is this: the PoP sign reminds ppl of the Illuminati.” Asks us to make a new 1.

Shawn replies, noting that the PoP signal in Boston is two fingers pointed together horizontally. He’ll recognize either. #nycga #ows

Street Medics remind us to get in touch with them before actions so they can easily be there! #nycga #ows

Next, Shazz is autonomously calling for a meeting to reform “how we handle money at Occupy Wall Street”. Notes he has December bank stmnts.

Cont’d: “We can talk about spending $ in this movement more transparently.” Need many ppl who care about issue and #OWS. 6pm, Mon, 60 Wall.

Next, Trish. “I’m with the NYCGA Council! It’s a GA working group. We have 3 things we’re working on, successful at 2…” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “…one was related to a proposal to remove an individual from the GA process. We prevented that from appearing.” [Huh? -Ed.] #nycga

Trish: “We will continue to uphold the integrity of the New York City General Assembly.” Now on to the first proposal! #nycga #ows

Stairs: “We’ll start with 20 minutes for this proposal.” Proposer, Sam! “I’m with the — we’re not really a working group, we’re just…”

Cont’d: “…a committee that’s gotten together to address the coordinated suppression of all the Occupy movements.” #nycga #ows

“We’re attempting to bring together a call to action to address these concerns. The past 2 months have witnessed something very…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…different in the US. People of all different walks of life came together to address the issues of the US.” “Our basic message..”

Cont’d: “…came through” evn admist suppression. Proposer: “Tht was from the call for mass action to protest the suppression of the mvmnt.”

Cont’d: “Even admist the good things people are doing across the country in this movement,” brutal suppression goes on. #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “This is a proposal for the #OWS GA to support a call for mass action against the suppression, and a day of mass action…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…organized by the people who came together around this call.” “The press has told ppl this is over- we need to call…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…to those millions of people, for one day of mass action and then going forward together.” #nycga #ows

Someone from Stop Stop and Frisk is here, saying that “many in this movement” have come to recognize injustices familiar to him. #nycga #ows

“All this violence and the beatings- unnecessary. For a non-violent movement, unacceptable.” Need to bring everyone else in to stand w/ us.

Someone else was arrested N17 ” and was glad to do it. I’m with this group because I saw my brothers and sisters slammed on the ground…”

Cont’d: “…there’s no reason for that. They gave themselves up for arrest and were slammed on the ground.” “I’m angry…they’re slamming..”

Cont’d: “…their hammers on our fingers.” Notes that they prevent our actions with brutality. “My neighbors don’t know much about #OWS..”

Cont’d: “..but they’re sympathetic. But what really gets them frosted is when they see brutalities against #OWS.” “Americans get…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…real angry when they see a raw deal being done against innocent people. And that’s where we are now.” #nycga #ows

Proposer: “Most of America don’t know the response against non-violent people.” CNN called it “tension in Oakland” last weekend. #nycga

So, again the proposal, is to support this call for mass action, and to organize a day of mass action here. #nycga #ows

Stairs: “We’ll start with clarifying questions to be sure the proposal is completely clear to you guys.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “Next, we’ll hear concerns from the group about things that might have you wavering on this proposal.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “Then, we’ll hear friendly amendments to resolve concerns and move towards consensus.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “Then, we’ll ask for standasides and blocks and check for consensus on the proposal.” #nycga #ows

Nan’s CQ: “You should have given the GA a chance to read this. And have you gone to DA about this?” #nycga #ows

A: “We’re going to direct action tomorrow with this. We’ve been to GAs 2 or 3 times to pass this out and emailed it like crazy.” #nycga #ows

CQ, Jack: “That incident that happened in Oakland- they pulled out that beautiful flag and burnt it? Was that good or bad?” #nycga #ows

Jack answers the question on his own. “That was bad. We don’t burn flags.” Stairs notes that this isn’t related to this particular proposal.

Sage says that Jack is asking the question of how we feel abt “violent action.” Proposer clarifies they’re calling for “non-violent action”.

Proposer doesn’t know anything about what may or may not have happened in Oakland. #nycga #ows

Sage: “You’re asking us to stand in solidarity w/ the #occupiers in Oakland, right? Against the oppression of the #occupy movement?” #nycga

A: “On Nov 17th, this wasn’t about Oakland, it was right here.” We were “evicted violently.” “We’ve seen the violent repression first-hand.”

A: “We’re non-violent protesters. We have the right to speak our mind and do so in a safe environment. The violence is being brought to us.”

CQ: “I see a lot abt what you wnt to accomplish and the reason you wnt to accomplish it, but I don’t see wht the mechanism is going to be.”

CQ cont’d: “Is this going to be a standing rally, or are we taking baseball bats to a precinct?” Wants tactical clarity. #nycga #ows

Someone interjects, noting he’s a vet and would have left the movement but knows that some people will do some “nutsy” things. #nycga #ows

“We want to make a statement and disperse. Not to be provocative, but we want to bring attention to the brutalities that come to us…”

Cont’d: “…when we’re minding our own business using our own civil rights. It’s a very good question, thank you.” #nycga #ows

Stairs notes there are 10 minutes left. Angela, DC: “I know at McPherson they were tossed this weekend; didn’t see news today. Regarding..”

Cont’d: “…what’s going on here, I see signatures all over, calling for February 27th movement here in New York? And continuing May 1st?”

Cont’d: “Is there communication w/ other cities for the 27th?” A: “This mobilization should mostly be here in New York,” other places too

Cont’d: “We’re going to make an attempt to get to as many GAs as we can in the next week” for actions that day or shortly thereafter. #nycga

OK, concerns. Chris: “My concern is, this being a peaceful action, how do we control the ones that are among us that won’t take this…”

Cont’d: “…as a peaceful action? How are we going to control, whereas this is peaceful?” #nycga #ows

A: We’re nonviolent; these are ancillary people. #nycga #ows

Chris is pressing them about this. “How do we as people address this? If we come in peace, how do we address the ones who aren’t?” #nycga

One more clarifying question. Chepe! “So, I had 2 quick Qs: one was, didn’t hear if y’all had gone to the sub-working group of the…”

Cont’d: “…legal working group, the anti-repression committee? And how and by whom was this written?” #nycga #ows

A: “No, we have not gone to the committee.” “An earlier draft was brought to them, we’d been discussing it with them, but..” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “…they haven’t influenced the call. They know about it, and they know the date. But hasn’t been consented to by them.” #nycga #ows

We’re at time on this discussion; Stairs calls for a temperature check on 10 more minutes. Mostly uptwinkles; we’ll continue. #nycga #ows

First concern: @shushugah. “I know this document has come from the Revolutionary Community Party, and I agree w/ it but worry about…”

Cont’d: “…the intentions of this proposal, whether they are co-optive or want to influence the movement.” #nycga #ows

They decline to respond to tht. Anthony starts to congrat thm for not doing it through DA; “not every action should be brought thru them.”

First response: “This call was published in Revolutionary Newspaper as a gift to the movement.” Since, taken up by many others. #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “We can’t keep up with all the ppl who are endorsing this thing. This was put forward in Revolution Newspaper b/c some ppl…”

Cont’d: “…thought this is what needs to happen.” Want to open up discussion and stand up for the movement. “If you want, and we want…”

Cont’d: “…this movement not to be suppressed, to beat back the suppression by police, we need to call on the people.” #nycga #ows

Lady’s concern: “How to do it? How this action will be presented? How to do it in a positive way and get positive feedback in the news?”

My concern was that they should speak to DA first, because it would change the stakeholders who’d be in attendance for the proposal. #nycga

I also noted that the conversation about non-violence is concernedly alarmist. “People are acting like there’s a violence problem here…”

Cont’d: “…and I just don’t see it. There were isolated incidents last week for the *first time*. We’ve done a great job staying peaceful.”

To respond to Lady, proposers note that the media will do whatever they want; if we can get numbers out, that speaks for itself. #nycga #ows

Nan’s concern: “You say this is a call for mass action against the Suppression of the Occupy Movement.” But she feels that before… #nycga

Cont’d: …we deal with suppression against the movement, we should deal with oppression in the movement first. Says people are being…

Cont’d: …oppressed by individuals and working groups in this movement. #nycga #ows

Darrel’s concerns/FA: “One, I understand there’s been negative portrayals in the media. But largely, the action’s huge, but how…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…it’s perceived is the real war. I want to know that in the time between now and then that you’ll be working with media to…”

Cont’d: “…build a message about police brutality- a narrative.” Wants videos, data, info posted ahead of the event. #nycga #ows

Darrel points out “now you know what it is to be black in America.” The stuff we see in #Occupy is “the same stuff we see in the Bronx…”

Cont’d: “…and in Brooklyn every day.” Proposes that something about that be added into the proposal to acknowledge this truth. #nycga #ows

A: “These are things we’ve been working on. 1, we’ve been talking to a human rights attorney who wants to document the repression..”

Cont’d: …and also media people to help get the messaging right. Trish’s concern is next. #nycga #ows

Trish: “This movement is so multi-faceted. We have so many sections, so many ppl, so many aspirations and goals…” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “..and what we’re finding now in 2012 is there are too many people who want to use the name Occupy Wall Street.” #nycga #ows

Trish then went into a factually incorrect rant about the Spokescouncil and how it authorizes direct actions. [It doesn't. -Ed.] #nycga #ows

That’s it for the additional 10 minutes of this proposal. Temp checking extending for an additional 10? OK. Now friendly amendments. #nycga

Lady’s FA: “On that day, we occupy Zuccotti Park in the fullest of numbers.” A: “No, because that is arrestable.” Don’t want… #nycga #ows

Cont’d: ask people to risk arrest. “We will march there, but to occupy…” #nycga #ows

Chris’ FA is to insist that we need to have some kind of accountability between protesters. #nycga #ows

A: “We’re a non-violent movement to begin with.” They will plan and organize a non-violent march, they repeat again. #nycga #ows

FA: “In the interest of clarity, unless you’re accusing other movements, you should call it Occupy Wall Street.” #nycga #ows

She also wanted to add “nonviolent” to the call; they accept that but decline to include Occupy Wall Street vs Occupy in the titlle. #nycga

Sage’s FA: “Occupying does not mean showing up and getting your butt arrested and kicked out of a space. It means standing in a park…”

Cont’d: “…for 12 hours, and you have an umbrella and clothes, and then you switch with your buddy.” Sage indicates that if they… #nycga

Cont’d: …don’t support or understand the full meaning of Occupation, he won’t participate in this resolution. #nycga #ows

Sage clarifies, points out that when we made Spokescouncil, there was no special mention of the camp because we took it for granted. #nycga

Cont’d: “…can once again be out in the street, calling attention to these questions.” Proposers decline the amendment. #nycga #ows

He’s frustrated that we haven’t re-occupied, blames those who don’t want to connect with homeless people. #nycga #ows

Sage: “All I ask is that the name of the brand stays in touch with what the brand means. And the name Occupy means to occupy.” #nycga

A: “We’re calling for thousands of people to come to the streets against the suppression of the Occupy movement, so that this movement..”

Nan’s FA. “My friendly amendment is my concern that you guys basically blew off. I feel this way, and my feeling will remain, and as…”

Cont’d: “…an individual in front of the GA body, if you’re calling for mass actions against suppression of #Occupy, there are lots…”

Cont’d: “…of people who’ve been marginalized or suppressed in this movement.” Before we do anything else, need to fix house. #nycga #ows

Cont’d; “I cannot put my vote into this action when I know there’s corruption and suppression, marginalization and evil in this movement.”

Nan wants them to add some kind of statement about this to the call to action. Proposers are deliberating. #nycga #ows

A: “Two points: we’ll take your concerns to the next ad-hoc meeting against the suppression of the Occupy movement, and two…” #nycga

Cont’d: “.. I want to read something in here: this should most of all be in New York, where the movement started.” Mmm. #nycga #ows

I made a friendly amendment that they take this proposal to direct action tomorrow because that’s how we plan actions. #nycga #ows

The proposers answer that it’s “irrelevant” and they don’t need the support of DA. They want to talk to DA after the fact. #nycga #ows

They decline the friendly amendment. Anthony’s PoI: “DA is not endorsing things anymore and is encouraging autonomous action.” #nycga

Next FA: “Come back with a plan of action.” A march is not an action against suppression. #nycga #ows

A: “This is the plan, and then you tell me if you need more clarification. The plan is to gather at Union Square on the 27th, rally at 5pm.”

Cont’d: “…and then have a non-violent rally and march.” OK, we’re going through consensus. Temp check is warm. #nycga #ows

Restating proposal. “This is a proposal for the GA of OWS to support a call to mass action against the supression of the #Occupy movement..”

Cont’d: “…and a day of mass action on February 28th.” Amndmnts are to put nonviolence in title, make effort to address media positively.

Stairs: “That’s the proposal; now we’re going to move into the actual decision-making process.” First, will ask for standasides… #nycga

No standasides, which would indicate disagreement but not unwillingness to consent. Now, blocks, indicating a moral, ethical, safety cncrn?

So, we’ll hear each of the blocks – I think there’s 3. #nycga #ows

6 blocks, sorry. Tim: “I have to block this because people have put hours and hours into making plans with which this conflicts.”#nycga #ows

Tim suggests that the group goes to DA to collaborate and if they say they should do it autonomously, come back and block is resolved.#nycga

They decline. Al’s issue is that they didn’t answer his questions clearly and their proposal might change meaning of “Occupy.” #nycga #ows

Al wants to know who he’s voting for and why they’re changing the name before he lifts his block. #nycga #ows

Stairs announces that it’s come to his attention that the proposers will table the proposal. #nycga #ows

Proposers feel caught between two sides. [IMO they just are making a classic mistake of not participating in Occupy before proposing to it.]

Stairs: “That was the only proposal on the agenda tonight, so it seems like y’all don’t need us anymore!” Next, announcements. #nycga #ows

Yoni: “Vision and Goals will be seeking consensus a complete vision document.” Meeting 60 Wall, tomorrow at 6pm. #nycga #ows

Nan announces that 2 weeks from now they’ll release a list of names they are planning on suing for slander (against her.) [OOOK. -Ed.]#nycga

Lady’s announcement: “This is about how we’re progressing in the movement. A lot of us need to find a way to occupy our minds…” #nycga

Cont’d: “…and hearts first.” This is not an announcement. #nycga #ows

Archives is having an open forum tomorrow, says Christine! At Judson Memorial church! More info at! #nycga #ows

Anthony mentions that the Staten Island GA is 1-4 Saturday a week from today. “It’s just a ferry away! And Fuck Monsanto!” #nycga #ows

Angela: “I’m coming from DC; I actually live in Maryland and volunteer on the weekends at McPherson Square. Next Friday, we’d like as…”

Cont’d: “…much support at the CPAC conference in DC.” Will have a rally, been thinking of ways to make “nonviolent noise” to get… #nycga

Cont’d: “…positive impression.” Agrees we need to occupy differently, feels that loss of last DC camps are a “sad day.” #nycga #ows

Cont’d: “They got kicked out of MacPherson Square. Homeland Security was there for the first time this week.” #nycga #ows

Stairs thanks her, notes the need for solidarity with DC that “went through hell today.” #nycga #ows

Tony from BAI: “Ellis was jailed; he needs $ on his books for bail. There’s a machine at 100 Center where you can put $ in to support him.”

Tony is very concerned with the lack of bail money for Ellis from #OWS. [Worth noting, he was arrested during a non-OWS action. -Ed.] #nycga

Jeff from Minutes: “People may not know the relationship between DA and GA and this and that.” Suggests a teach-in. #nycga #ows

That’s it for announcements! Stairs: “We’re going to close the GA! Thank you very much for your participation.” That’s it, fam. #nycga #ows

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *